Friday, June 29, 2007

"where did all these calvinists come from?"

please don't be afraid of the title...i am not going to talk about calvinism here. not this time at least. it's just the name of this article which talks about the sudden popularity of reformed doctrine (calvinism), particularly among those in their 20s and 30s.

the article was referenced at a blog i often read (the entry itself is pretty useless because it just rehashes the article, and then all the comments are just a back-and-forth about calvinism itself), and i posted a comment something like this in response to it. well, it was a lot shorter.

I have also noticed this current trend and have often wondered why it is happening. Whatever we think about calvin or spurgeon or reformed teachings, it's good that there is an increased longing for a return to sound doctrine. Someone mentioned that this trend is a backlash to the megachurches. I doubt it is to the churches so much as the watered-down message that often comes from their pulpits (some PCA churches are very large as well). I am very glad to see this "backlash," whyever it might be happening. And I think it is a good commentary on our generation. The fact that young people are rejecting feel-good theology is a great thing and I don't want to diminish it.

It is also telling that the churches teaching sound doctrine -- those not catering to culture and not desperately trying to appear relevant and mainstream -- are the ones actually attracting the greatest number of young people (I mean something like the 18-35 crowd). The irony here is that it's actually a trendy, hip, cool thing to be "reformed." It's so weird. Sometimes I think some people are "reformed" just because all their friends are, or, come Sunday morning on campus, that's where the cool, indie-sounding music is.

What I don't understand, though, is why it happens to be almost solely the Reformed style of doctrine that is attracting all these people. It's a little insulting to the rest of us, actually. Everything sound is doctrine, no matter if it was popularized by John Calvin/Spurgeon or not.

It concerns me a little, too, that the denomination Presbyterian Church of America (PCA), the biggest mouthpiece for reformed doctrine in the USA, will gain too much credit. After all, a denomination is STILL just a denomination no matter how cool it is. I am concerned that reformed-doctrine adherents will develop a denominational bent. (This is certainly possible in any denomination.) They could paralyzed from attending churches of other denominations, or nondenominational churches, who may teach doctrine that is just as sound, but who may not strictly adore -- I mean, adhere to -- the works of John Calvin and friends...in other words, be PCA.

I guess it's a little ruffling because my church (around 1,000 people) teaches sound, often difficult doctrine, all the way down to preschool-age kids. And somehow because we're not PCA we don't draw nearly as many "college kids." Just having PCA on your church sign is enough to attract a nice, hip group of trendy young people who like to sing revamped hymns -- oh yeah, which also just happen to come from a PCA music label (after all, the PCA has a monopoly and both good teaching AND good music). Okay, so I get annoyed with the PCA sometimes. ....AND, this is quickly becoming a rant so I will end here.

so what do my readers think of this? the article linked above says that the reformed trend is largely due to the prevalance of Spurgeon's writings and how often they are recommended. any thoughts about that? any correlating or rebutting experience with the PCA?

1 Comments:

At Monday, July 02, 2007 6:51:00 PM, Blogger Lisa sayeth thus:

I don't think it is to do with Spurgeon at all. I mean a lot of people haven't heard of him. I think it comes back to the fact that a lot of evanglical/pentecostal churches don't have any firm 'doctrine' as such and people are looking for something firm to base their belief on that goes against the tide of post modernisim. I think the recent wave of webpages such as Challies and Tulip girl shows this as does the wave of books on calvinist type stuff. I myself have found calvinist stuff helpful to help me sort out my beliefs as a baptist as they have helped me mature in my beliefs. Something I think Evanglicalism (sp?) can't always provide

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter