Friday, September 28, 2007

carrot cake

anyone here like carrot cake? i do and i don't. it's one of those things that i have to eat without thinking...like scallops or hot dogs. i have to disengage my brain from my taste buds, because it tastes good (well, scallops taste good) but you really can't dwell on what you're eating because you might not like it. so for some reason that no one will ever know, carrot cake is pretty good, at least in my opinion. i really have no idea why anyone would have ever made it in the first place. because why, WHY, of all the things you can put in cake, would you grind up some carrots and throw those in there? (zucchini bread also falls into this same category, but i don't like zucchini bread.)

i think the main attraction for me is the frosting. not the store kind, but the kind i think is made of cream cheese, and is off-white and really thick and creamy. i think the frosting is actually the main course and the cake is there to balance flavors and lessen the intensity. so often the cake-to-frosting ratio is severely unbalanced in the direction of the cake.

i remember my first piece of carrot cake. i was too young to know what it was but i liked that it had a frosting carrot on top. i ended up eating the fake carrot and leaving the rest. i remember feeling a little insulted that no one told me what was in it really.

any thoughts about carrot cake or other weird foods that end up being good? anything you have to eat without your brain?

6 Comments:

At Tuesday, October 02, 2007 6:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous sayeth thus:

1. I love carrot cake... even the cake part. The frosting is definitely the best, though.

2. I made zucchini cake this summer a couple of times and it was FABULOUS. Like maybe the best cake ever. And it didn't even have frosting.

3. I only recently discovered that I like green beans and asparagus. The fresh ones, steamed, that is. I still hate the canned ones. So, I thought that maybe I might like brussel sprouts (same category in my head) and so I tried them last year. They were disgusting.

 
At Wednesday, October 03, 2007 2:44:00 PM, Blogger green mug creative sayeth thus:

hm...it depends on the day with me on carrot cake...but it has nothing to do with the fact that there are actually carrots in it...
oh nikki...you would think about carrot cake to this extent :)

 
At Wednesday, October 03, 2007 2:48:00 PM, Blogger Nikki Moore sayeth thus:

lisa, if it doesn't have frosting, how could it be cake? casserole maybe. but not cake. zucchini hotdish anyone? :)

 
At Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous sayeth thus:

i love carrot cake also and agree that with the right (homemade) kind of frosting - it's great.
i also like artichokes - they are pretty looking, however they take a lot of work to get to the heart, which is the best part......hmmmm, that could be said about more than artichokes :)

 
At Friday, October 12, 2007 1:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous sayeth thus:

I just wanted to say that yes, carrot cake is pretty weird. Sounds like you are ambivalent toward it (ambivalent = a simultaneous attraction toward and strong dislike of something).

I am ambivalent toward Taco Bell burritos and the coy pond at the Henry Doorley zoo.

 
At Monday, October 15, 2007 5:22:00 PM, Blogger Curtis sayeth thus:

At first, I thought carrot cake was disgusting. Now I adore it. But what I really have a craving for, is a Lady Baltimore cake. My sister used to make it all the time until she left. That and homeade cholla bread. Man! that was eatin' right!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter