Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Where I'm At

Where I'm at is the Mill. This is one of my favorite places to sit with my (dad's) laptop and reconnect with the world after a stuffy afternoon of office work. It's a little out of my way, but I like it enough that the distance isn't a problem.

It's big enough to keep people from breathing in your ears, and small enough to be cozy. The ceiling is made of wood scaffolding. The lighting, supplemented with the real light coming in from the front window, is un-classy in a pleasant way, with a few bare-bulb clusters tucked behind the planks. There are lots of real trees and plants in the big front window to filter the sunlight and make it look like (at the right time of day) a green stained-glass masterpiece, the chairs all creak and most of the tables wobble, and there is free wi-fi. There is also a fake airplane hanging from the ceiling. There's no theme to this place, apart from coffee and old, creaky things. (I like old, creaky things.) A huge air-conditioning vent in the floor will blast icy air up onto you if you walk over it in summer.

In this earthy little hole I've surfed the obscure corners of the internet, blabbed on my phone with friends across the country, been on semi-dates which from my perspective should not have ever happened, read Hemingway and Shakespeare and my Neocon Reader and my Bible, people-watched, met with countless friends, eaten McDonald's food and donuts from across the street, and completed two years' worth of community college homework.


Today isn't incredibly different, except that two British men, in suits and funny little straw hats came in a few minutes ago. They are very cute old men and I bet they have canes they use most of the time. I would descrive them as funny, although you might not call them funny. But that doesn't bother me, because you are probably the same people who walk around in Ipod-world and stare at the concrete sidewalk instead of looking your real, fellow human beings in the eye. Then you probably go home and cry that no one understands you and that you are so completely, utterly alone in this cruel universe.

Anyways: Tomorrow I'll be playing my guitar in front of a group for the first time! I'm pretty new to the guitar world but I love my guitar and will have to post more about its beauty later. :)

I'd be surprised if anyone actually read all that! Later, friends and strangers!

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, September 14, 2005 10:34:00 PM, Blogger Aaron Nelsen sayeth thus:

I read all of that! Go me! It made me tired though, I need sleep...

p.s. The comments you get are just plain wrong

 
At Friday, September 16, 2005 12:35:00 PM, Blogger Nikki Moore sayeth thus:

ah, fret not. They are gone, hopefully never to return...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter