Friday, October 27, 2006

guitar

you ever get that feeling that if you ever got around to trying something, you just KNOW you'd be SO good at it?

that's how i feel about electric guitars. to me electric guitar = loud guitar, which just seems like it'd be easy. stupidly easy. mindless even. i even hear the strings are easier to push down (i mean, depress). i know all my electric guitar-playing readers will probably tell me otherwise. but seriously, it's set up just like a "regular" guitar, so as long as i can do all the chords and stuff, why should it be any more complicated? let's go over all the parts of an electric guitar that are not found on an acoustic guitar:

some knobs or buttons
a lever

i think the big mistake i'd make when learning to play, is simply making lots and lots of noise, and then thinking the noise makes me successful. and it would be successful to some extent. the electric guitar does not seem to me like a delicate art, because if you make a small mistake it will probably be drowned out by the loudness of the rest of it. but maybe it is far more exquisite than i have observation powers to detect.

i think another reason i feel electric guitars to be less delicate is by the generally not delicate appearances of those individuals who play them. usually the acoustic people are more like poets, and their choice of instrument corresponds better to their own nuanced sensitivity. but the electric guitar people tend to be loud all over. they are also like their instruments, and perhaps the small imperfections of the rocker-folk (inability to sing, etc) are also overshadowed by the loudness of everything else about them.

(did i just sweep every guitar player, ever, into one of two giant stereotype boxes? yes, yes i did.)

anyways, i just need someone to lend me an electric guitar and amp so i can try it out myself. because there are way too many expensive things to buy in life (camera, ipod, car, house), to not just borrow stuff if you can. so, this is a call to anyone with a spare electric guitar sitting around, to give it to me. :)

my roommates, however, will most likely (understandably) try to deter you so let's try and keep this guitar business to ourselves, ok? (said nikki on her public blog.)

1 Comments:

At Friday, October 27, 2006 3:51:00 PM, Blogger Justin sayeth thus:

They are fun to play, and easier to depress, as you said. To me, electric guitars are more for single notes and awesome solos, not chords, so it is a lot different from acoustic when you look at it from my point of view. I don't have an electric guitar, otherwise I would let you borrow it. I have a bass guitar if that's any consolation?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter