Friday, September 16, 2005

four more lists...

There is a general perception espoused by many in the literary world today that, when one writes a thing for the world to read, they must connect something profound to the banal incidences of everyday life for their thoughts to be interesting, effective, or even worth reading. The thing which needs communicating, they say, must be somehow derived from a trivial instance or observation. Unless one has something novel and incredible to say, why would one wish to write/blog at all? I see no reason we cannot extrapolate this view to include the cyber-universe of blogging.

So in keeping with the theme of my blog (seen in small letters at the very top of the page), and to combat this pervasive and inaccurate view of blogging, I would like to present, without fanfare, enthusiasm, or culturally sensitive ceremony, the rebuttal and actual refutation of the aforestated philosophy, simply by blogging something un-incredible. Towards this end I have created the following:

List A: Things I Would Like To Have (But Don't)
List B: Things I Am Glad To Have (And Do)
List C: Things I Am Glad Not To Have (And Don't); and
List D: Things I Am Annoyed To Have (But Do).

Please enjoy the mediocrity and boring-ness of these lists. Then, when you've read to the bottom of the page, please click on Next Blog at the top to return to your regularly scheduled profundity.

Things I Would Like To Have (But Don't):
Aviator sunglasses.
A BMW.
A wooden bookshelf.
An Ipod Color.
Knowledge of everything related to physics, astronomy, and gourmet cooking.
My own house or apartment, of course costing me zero dollars.
The ability to always see people's true intentions.
More money.
A dish of Rocky Road ice cream. Right now.

Things I Am Glad To Have (And Do):
The lunch I just ate which consisted of bright buttery peas and marinated chicken.
Friends who will give me hugs.
Plenty of music to listen to.
The squishy down comforter on my bed.
A Bible in my language.
My job and my kind and generous bosses.
The (developing) ability to communicate through writing.
Parents who are still alive and happily married to each other.
A stainless steel travel mug to call my own.
Developing skills of observance and inference.
Many, many books, a lot of them very old (hence the need for a bookshelf).

Things I Am Glad Not To Have (And Don't):
Siblings/parents who hate my guts.
A car that doesn't run, or that runs sporadically.
Yellow teeth.
A constant need for alcohol, drugs or tobacco.
A home devastated by hurricanes or tornadoes.
A blog that still says Edit-Me in the sidebar.
An annoying cell phone ringer.
A VCR.
Bad hand-washing habits.
A shared bedroom.

Things I Am Annoyed To Have (And Do):
A brother at the age of thirteen.
A constant desire to drink expensive coffee and flavored, bottled tea with symbols on the inside of the lid.
Ears that itch and turn puffy and crusty if I wear any earrings made from anything other than sterling silver or 14k gold.
Car, insurance, gas and cell phone payments.
An empty vase on my desk, constantly reminding me of a certain annoying person.
A cell phone that will fall apart any day now.

A general and powerful dislike of healthy food and exercise only for their own sake.
And that reminds me...of my strengthening desire for Rocky Road ice cream.

2 Comments:

At Friday, September 16, 2005 1:43:00 PM, Blogger Mara sayeth thus:

::smirk:: that was ... almost... funny

 
At Friday, September 16, 2005 1:43:00 PM, Blogger Mara sayeth thus:

::looks up:: does anyone have some bread for this 'spamich' blah!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter