Monday, October 03, 2005

A Nice Salad of Topics

"It is the spectator...that art really mirrors."

I bought the book A Picture of Dorian Gray (by Oscar Wilde) on Sunday. I read the whole thing yesterday. It was amazing. I had to stop after each chapter and just think about what I'd read because there was so much to it. It was dark, contemplative, focused, and rich with philosophy, both explicit and implicit. The main character is Dorian Gray: a young, handsome man who has his portrait is painted when he's around twenty years old. He wishes that he didn't have to grow old, and is jealous that the portrait will remain beautiful long after he's old and decrepit. (Dorian is also just a wee bit vain.) He's rich and powerful, and due to the influence of an older obsessively-philosophical friend, he takes a strictly amoral, sensual approach to life -- and by that I mean he's extravagantly indulgent of all his senses. Eventually he becomes scabby and selfish and cruel. About halfway through the book, Dorian realizes the portrait is changing to reflect his true soul. The picture becomes cruel, harsh, and bloodstained...while Dorian's own physical appearance remains youthful and vibrant. Horrified at what he has become, he even tries doing a "good" thing near the end of the book, but only sees hypocrisy sneering at him from the painting. The ending was abrupt, but left me speechless in a last-paragraph twist. I'm still trying to process all the aspects of the story. The book reminded me frequently of The Scarlet Letter (by Nathaniel Hawthorne), one of my favorite novels of all time. There are many parallel themes such as hidden evil and the effects of secret sins, both on us and those we come into contact with. I wonder if Wilde ever read Hawthorne's stuff. Dorian Gray's portrait hidden in the attic is graphically reminiscent of Arthur Dimmesdale's scarlet letter hidden underneath his shirt on his flesh, both portraying the man's true nature while their outward appearances -- Dorian's glowing youth, Arthur's strict Puritanism -- remain spotless. The evil inside both of them impacts a wide array of people as well as their own hearts. I didn't mean to make this into a textual analysis, but...wow. Literature is alive, people.

I know you all love "a nice salad of topics," so here's one more for the, um, garnish (I guess). I found these two pictures when I was posting on a forum. But they're so cute, I have to post them here too. I love baby goats. I think most of them are cuter than most baby people.

7 Comments:

At Tuesday, October 04, 2005 4:22:00 PM, Blogger Skye sayeth thus:

Hi! They are darlin' I like the pictire of the one smiling. Oh Ph.D. stands for Push Here Dummie.

 
At Tuesday, October 04, 2005 5:40:00 PM, Blogger Nikki Moore sayeth thus:

seriously, i don't know what it stands for! *reddens*

 
At Tuesday, October 04, 2005 6:52:00 PM, Blogger Placeholder Test 1234 sayeth thus:

I read the whole interview. Bennett as an idiot bigot that grossly misinterpreted the Levitt book titled Freakonomics. Pick up a copy at your local bookstore...it's a great book with only a chapter dedicated to the abortion/crime rate theory.

What if you were a successful middle age black couple with 2 kids living in an affluent area and some redneck political leader suggested that if ALL black babies – like the 2 you have - were aborted the crime rate would go down?

Or, are there no successful black families in the USA? According to Bennett, apparently there aren't.

I know...if you abort ALL white children, I betcha the crime rate goes down. Abort the babies born into wealth...the poor one's...ALL of the white babies! I betcha the crime rate goes down some because there are some poor white people.

Read his interview again. Read the book.

 
At Wednesday, October 05, 2005 1:13:00 PM, Blogger Eric sayeth thus:

Hey, Nikki, I think it's Nikki. If you like goats then you will freak'n cough a nasty lung when you see this!
Play the short goat vidio. It's funny.
Thanks for posting on my site earlier today. I'm really digging yours!

 
At Wednesday, October 05, 2005 1:35:00 PM, Blogger Nikki Moore sayeth thus:

thanks for the goat video...that's awesome. never heard of that. intense.

 
At Wednesday, October 05, 2005 3:09:00 PM, Blogger The Unknown sayeth thus:

I was reading your post but now I can't remember any of it except the CUTE LITTLE GOAT! :-)
love

 
At Thursday, October 06, 2005 1:08:00 PM, Blogger Nikki Moore sayeth thus:

well...they don't have to kill goats to get their fur, just shave them. so we don't have to feel bad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter