Tuesday, October 18, 2005

think about work. think about school. repeat.

I started my new job yesterday! It was fun to transfer my name tag from one office to another and to check mailbox #34 instead of mailbox #41. I got all my files in order and threw away a ton of stuff I won't need. I have my very own file cabinet full of Expense Reimbursements and other important-sounding things with which I'll need to become acquainted at some point. Today I sorted the mail, updated the calendar and wrote 56 letters which I will put together with their envelopes later. It's very slow. But holy cow, there will be a lot to learn here in the coming months. My new boss is a wonderful person that I respect immensely. I like my office-mates too; they are both very nice and I think we'll all get along marvellously over the next year.

So when I'm not blissfully carrying out the duties of my new job (and even while I am), I've been thinking about what to major in (assuming I ever go back to school). If I couldn't comprehend a future beyond the two years it'd take to finish my B.A., I might major in Philosophy. Or maybe English Literature? I've also thought a History major, specific to someplace narrow and obscure like Moscow or Germany, would be super cool. But why do I always have to be plagued with desires to do useless things with my life? A word of wisdom to young college-bound grasshoppers: If the only thing you can do with your potential B.A. is teach it to undergrads, you'd better start looking in a new direction. Fast. Being an expert on the finer points of Geoffrey Chaucer's socioeconomic background might be cool for parties, but it's not going to get you anywhere in real life, such as helping you get a real job. Neither is a Russian History major, unless you're planning on grad school -- years and years of it -- which isn't really attractive to me at this point either. I'm looking for a useful and interesting major, but those two qualities are magnetic repellants and don't meet anywhere in our physical cosmos. The closest I've come, though, is Political Philosophy. That'd be interesting, because -- surprise -- I like politics and philosophy. And I think the Politics factor would be useful in a lot of areas especially like where I'm at now. It'd be a great background for an elected official! :P Plus, if I get married and I decide to stay home with my (theoretical) kid(s), I could (theoretically) enter the job market again without needing extra training, unlike a Graphic Design degree or something else technological that becomes archaic in six months unless you keep up with all the latest stuff.

Those are a few of my thoughts for today...thanks for reading! ~Moi

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, October 18, 2005 8:18:00 PM, Blogger {illyria} sayeth thus:

hey! good for you!

 
At Friday, October 21, 2005 4:18:00 AM, Blogger The Unknown sayeth thus:

Yeah.
love

 
At Friday, October 21, 2005 8:34:00 AM, Blogger Nikki Moore sayeth thus:

exactly! i didn't know exactly what i wanted to major in when i was thinking of transferring, so it didn't make much sense to me either. :) it'd just be a royal waste of moolah.

 
At Monday, October 24, 2005 10:53:00 AM, Blogger Nikki Moore sayeth thus:

is that spam??! i can't tell. weird.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter