Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Abortion...and being completely overwhelmed and a little intimidated by my own ambition.

How am I ever supposed to accomplish everything I'd like to? Where should I start? There are so many things I wish everyone knew. People are so very needy.

I went to a bioethics talk last night at the university. The main topic was abortion -- its moral wrongfulness regardless of the circumstances -- and the pragmatic application within the public policy arena. I've heard this guy speak before, but once again I was amazed at the quality of his argument. Another time I might post more about abortion and why I believe it to be morally wrong in all cases. He showed a short movie clip of aborted fetuses (most from the first trimester) and, while pictures aren't a logical part of the actual argument he used, they are real, and people need to see them. If I had some gruesome pictures, I'd post them here, if only because people don't want to see them. Just like pictures of holocaust victims, and Sudanese genocide sufferers, they are a sickening part of reality. They're no less real or valid if the reality they illustrate is horrific. They deserve to be seen. Maybe I'll find some and post them. In the meantime, I want a lot of big things to happen.

  • I wish I could make all abortions illegal. If I could, I would. Like the holocaust, slavery, and other forms of genocide, the ongoing legal killing of millions of innocents is one of the most reprehensible, disgusting events in human history. Except this time around, the victims aren't old enough to defend themselves -- and governments stand by, nodding in approval.
  • Immigration should be regulated. How in the world are we supposed to stay safe when people can waltz across the borders and have us cater to them? I'm not against immigration -- I don't blame people for wanting to come here -- but if you can't respect the law getting into the country, why should we expect you to respect it once you're here?
  • I want everyone to see the critical flaws in Darwinian evolutionary theory. Like so many things, people eat what they are spoonfed, especially if it means they don't have to do the thinking/research themselves.
  • Girls should all stop dressing like we-know-whats, and start respecting themselves. How can we ever campaign for rights and equality while we're dressed like pieces of meat? Don't expect men, or anyone at all, to respect you if you don't respect yourself -- and don't pretend like you're ignorant. You know what you're putting on, and why. Grow up!
  • Social Security, in my opinion, should be voluntary -- until the time it is phased out (or drastically downsized). Why should I have to pay for a retirement program if I DON'T WANT ONE?! The Depression ended decades ago -- let's all stop acting like we need the government to save our money for us.
  • People should realize that religion is not purely subjective, and neither are morality and ethics. A relativistic society cannot function and can never be tolerant. Ultimate, objective, transcendent Truth does exist, and it's always worth searching for even if there's not unanimous agreement. With that established, let's get rid of the "religion is for private use, policy is for public use" mentality. It's flawed and can never result in decent or meaningful conversation or legislation.
I don't know when these things will happen. I don't know what I can do to help them along. I've always said I'd NEVER want to be an elected politician, but maybe that's what it'd take. I feel like I'd spread myself too thin if I tried to accomplish all of these things. If I were patient enough, I could raise a tribe of dynamic, eloquent kids who will outlive me -- then they could accomplish the things I didn't get to. That's the great thing about motherhood: it's like extending your life indefinitely.

Anyways, in case you're sick of reading this stuff, I'm working on building another blog that will be a home to my political-social-philosophical-theological stuff, and this one will soon be only narcissism: what's happening in my life, my photos, etc. So for those of you who only like to read about me, soon you won't have to wade through other content.

Please feel free to leave comments and/or death threats. I want to hear your comments and challenges. thanks for reading, guys!

1 Comments:

At Friday, November 18, 2005 12:05:00 AM, Blogger Scotty sayeth thus:

You GO girl!
However you go about achieving those ambitions, do not let them out of sight.

P.S. BOO!! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter