Sunday, January 15, 2006

Here's something I wrote a few days ago but forgot to post :)

As of Friday, I am myself minus 4 wisdom teeth. I still look like a chipmunk and feel like an invalid (thanks to the evil medicine they prescribed). Here's a basic timeline of the first part of my weekend:

Friday, 12 noon: Arrive at the doc's office.
12:45: Finally get called into the operating room.
1:30: Finish pre-op, which consisted of stabbing me with a needle and plugging me into four different machines. All I think can about are the stories of people's anesthaesia not working right and waking up during the operations.
1:30-1:50: The doctor hasn't come yet, so I watch the heart monitor I'm hooked into and figure out how to make it do different things, by holding my breath and flexing all my muscles. Cool.
1:50: The doctor finally arrives and puts the magic juice into my IV.
1:52: He asks "How do you feel?" ....everything is fuzzy and dream-like...
2:00: AAAAGH!!!! I wake up IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SURGERY...asking what's going on and wondering why I'm staring into the doctor's armpit. The nurse keeps telling me to close my eyes, but I'm far too curious about the whirring drill and four hands that are in my mouth. I couldn't really feel what they were doing, but I heard crunching and twisting around in my mouth. HELP ME!!!! I think I must have passed out.
2:18: They take the secret sauce out of my IV, and I sit up and marvel at the intensity of the colors of my jeans and sweater. (It has something to do with the oxygen they gave me.)
4:00: We get home after waiting for my prescription. I go to bed.
5:30: I wake up with a puddle of blood on my pillow. Gross. But Dad has just brought me flowers and a Frappuccino so life is looking up. At this point I go upstairs and lay on the couch, but I don't get up except to run into the bathroom and puke twice. (This is not looking good for Homestar Runner.)
7:00: Remember the fondue party I'm missing. Fall asleep again. Sleep on the couch all night.

Back to today. my mouth hurts really bad, and the label on the bottle of painkillers I desperately wanted required that I ingest food...which I couldn't keep down for anything. So I spent the first evening in pain. I sneaked a piece of a Taco Dorito and chewed it with my front cheeks like a beaver, but apart from that I they only let me have a smoothie, some smashed potatoes and cream of wheat. Blaaaaah. And despite the fact that I've had a package of frozen (and re-re-re-frozen) peas laying on my head all day, I still look like I've stored the last several pounds of potatoes in my cheeks for later.


Movies I've watched this weekend:
Gone with the Wind (both tapes, like 4 hours!)
Cinderella Man
Bridge Over the River Kwai
A Knight's Tale
Kate & Leopold
...also several football games and the Antiques Roadshow.

Today I felt a little better (I stopped taking the prescription medicine and switched to a tasty cocktail of Nyquil and Tylenol) and was even able to sleep in my own bed last night. The Fam ate pizza for lunch and they even got my favorite kind, but I couldn't eat much. They laughed and pointed at my swollen cheeks as they stuffed MY pizza down their faces. I made eggdrop soup and burned my tongue on it like I normally do.

I don't have to work tomorrow, but I have a big day Tuesday, so I hope the swelling goes down a LOT.

I hope this isn't what it's like to be old.

I'm sorry this isn't very well written, but I'm tired and everything hurts.

2 Comments:

At Friday, January 20, 2006 6:25:00 PM, Blogger Aaron Nelsen sayeth thus:

You're taking the loss of your teeth rather hard... I wasn't that bad off when I got my teeth ripped out.

 
At Monday, November 06, 2006 6:56:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous sayeth thus:

heavens, nikki! I'm sorry I read this account. My teeth are coming out Dec 1st. :( :( :( I wish it were done....

ANNE Z

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter